Saturday 16 August 2008

The Banksy Tour

Date: 14th August 2008
Purpose of trip: Tour of Banksy street art and Tate Modern
Getting there: Train to London St Pancras
Travelling companions: 2 - my gorgeous son Peter and his equally gorgeous girlfriend Hannah











Sorry, but this has to be a bit of a rant as the whole day was dominated by an unpleasant incident on the outward train journey.

I most often go to London on the coach because the fare is so much cheaper. But because Peter was coming with me this time it made the train journey cheaper because I can use the Family Railcard. Although Peter has turned sixteen since I bought the railcard, he is still entitled to child fares until it expires. But the conductor on the train was ignorant of that fact and would not accept the ticket I'd bought. He made me pay an additional full adult single fare for him amounting to over £60 (the ticket I had originally bought for him had cost me less than £10). After much wrangling with the man, I seethed for 2 hours on the train, frustrated that I didn't have the terms of the railcard in black and white to show him and also very angry that we had been made to look like fare dodgers by this incompetent man. I've written a letter of complaint today but the only real justice would be for that man to acknowledge to me that he was wrong. Instead I'll probably get a reply from some drone who really doesn't care how I was made to feel.





Anyway, moving on... a word on how we came to be back in London again so soon. Last week we walked along the South Bank with the rest of the family and admired the street art on the walls of the Tate Modern. Peter said he'd like to go round London looking for the Banksy murals. A couple of years back we stumbled across the Girl with the Balloon and admired it before we'd even heard of Banksy. It obviously struck a chord with Peter. As we'd been talking for some time about visiting the Tate and the V&A, I suggested we go back this week and do exactly that. In the meantime I did some research and Peter sent away for a couple of books to help us locate the artworks. Then yesterday we made it all happen (well, some of it anyway)...


Extra points for:

  1. Martin Bull's book "Banksy Locations & Tours".

  2. Research on the internet which gave us a map of London locations (shame I didn't print it off as I assumed there would be one in the book).

  3. Peter, my perfect travelling companion, who lets me do my 'independence' thing but then looks after me, making sure I don't get trapped in tube doors, run over by taxis or leave my shopping in the restaurant. (Yes, ok, maybe not so independent after all)

  4. Fantastic food in Covent Garden and lovely sunshine while we were eating.

  5. Hannah, who doesn't say much but who smiles all the time and has an unforgettable laugh.


6. The Navigators in Hays Galleria, a favourite landmark of mine.


7. The Meeting Place by Paul Day at St Pancras station. I saw it for the first time earlier this year and came to the net to find out more. It elicits strong reactions from people. I think it's wonderful but I can understand why some people would disagree.


Points deducted for:

  1. East Midlands Trains staff. I generally moan about the trains but this time they went too far.

  2. Thunderstorm while we were in Trafalgar Square and getting soaked watching the Olympics on the big screen.

  3. Wear, tear and overpainting. Banksy pieces that can now only be seen in books and photos. Such is the transient nature of street art.

  4. Us for the jinx. Within five minutes two women fell over on station escalators just a few feet from us. What's happening there then?

No comments: