Sunday 3 August 2008

kd lang at Symphony Hall, Birmingham

Date: 1st August 2008
Purpose of trip: kd lang in concert
Getting there: Train to Birmingham New Street
Travelling companions: 0 but met Karen in Brum and Michael came along later

Extra points for:
  1. Overnight stay at Crowne Plaza in the city. Undergoing renovation but still more luxurious than I have any right to expect
  2. Karen, who paid for my room just because she was feeling affluent
  3. kd lang. She should be piped into all railway waiting rooms to soothe jangling nerves. Her voice is like a piece of heaven
  4. Michael, who looked after my case while I took photographs of the city on Saturday morning
  5. The lava lamps Karen and I bought while we were there. I stood and just watched mine for more than 2 hours yesterday. It has me in its spell.

Points deducted for:

  1. The person who opened my hotel room door at 8.24am when I was determined to have a lie in and gave me bad dreams
  2. No 'Barefoot' or 'Crying' in the set list
  3. The barista at Caffe Nero who told me off for expecting him to bring my coffee to the table and then served me a lukewarm meatball panini
  4. Audience members with seats in the middle of rows who arrive later and need to leave their seats more often than us self righteous types on the ends.

My local station. A little arboretum in an otherwise uninspiring town. Great conifers and wildlife.





Birmingham Symphony Hall. Very impressive, inside and out




The Spirit of Enterprise, Centenary square

No comments: