Wednesday 13 August 2008

Straining at the leash

I hadn't really noticed but over the last few months, travelling by myself has become the rule rather than the exception and that was brought home to me last week when we travelled down to stay with mother in law in Essex. The car journey was fine but then we decided to go into London for the day on Friday. On the train. My territory. But with someone else in control.

Ouch.

I set off not knowing when the train was due, which tube we would need or where we'd need to change. Not a problem, because someone else knew all those things. But a strange sensation. I did have my say over where we went when we arrived and where we ate but then I had to deal with making compromises, justifying decisions and acting logically. It's just so much easier being a one man show. I'm wondering if this is a slippery slope...

On the positive side, it was nice to have someone watching out for me. I get a little paranoid when it's just me. I always think I've left a bag on the train or put my tickets in the wrong pocket and think I've lost them.

No comments: